Monday, October 15, 2012

i-spy swap! (closed)

That’s right we are hosting an i-spy swap. The details are listed below.
Whenever my mother comes to visit she brings fabric to make a quilt top. During her last visit she finished with a week to spare and wanted to make another. I pulled out my box of i-spy squares from a couple of swaps hosted by Care of Obsessively Stitching. My mom was instantly hooked.
_DSC0045
She wants to make another one and says what is the point of having a daughter with a craft blog if you can’t take advantage of it. So we are hosting an i-spy swap!
THE BASICS:
Mail 200 I-Spy squares to me by December 1st.

Get 200 I-Spy squares back, all different, by December 15th.
PLEASE be sure you can meet the deadlines BEFORE you sign up!
THE DETAILS:
1. The first 36 people to comment are in. [If you live outside the U.S., no problem -- but please mail your fabrics a little earlier so there's plenty of time to meet the deadline!]
2. Cut 20 4" squares out of each of 10 different novelty print fabrics. A 1/4-yard cut or fat quarter will get you 20 4" squares, so you will be purchasing a total of about 2 1/2 yards of fabric. This is NOTHING when you think about all the different squares you will be getting back!
3. In order to avoid duplicates, everyone will need to search out unusual or obscure prints. Look for things that aren't available at chain stores. But, please, pick FUN ones! If you love it, the other swappers will love it too!
4. Remember that we are looking for fabric with objects on it, not printy-prints. (A fabric with FLOWERS on it is very different from a FLORAL PRINT.)
5. No "licensed" prints: No Disney, Dora, L.A. Lakers, etc.
6. Remember seam allowances! Be sure you can tell what you are looking at within a 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" square. Nobody wants only half of an object in their square -- cut them well! (Depending on your fabric choice, you may need to buy more than 1/4 yard in order to get an object into each cut square.)
If you want to join me in this obsession, leave a comment here that
includes your email address
!!_DSC0075

Remember: The FIRST 36 who comment are IN!
*IF by chance we don't make it to the full double swap,
we'll do a single swap with the first 18 and save the rest
of the swappers for the next swap.
SERIOUS SWAPPERS ONLY...
Please read the guidelines before signing up!
Ruth
Special thanks to Care of Obsessively Stitching for letting me steal her swap parameters.











54 comments:

  1. It's so tempting...I'll have to look through my stash and see what I have and get back to you. I know I have 5 or 6 fabrics, but I'll have to see if I can come up with a few more. What about holiday fabrics? For instance, I know I have one with some cute gingerbread on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked robots, Russian nesting dolls, viking boats with sea monsters, chickens and a construction zone. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I would love to join your swap! I LOVE these quilts. Thanks for hosting, it'll be great!
    Sarah
    mimi.and.the.boy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited you want to participate. I just extended the deadline. As soon as we have 18 swappers I will send you more details.

      Delete
  4. I cabn't resist. Do you plan to start a flickr group where we can post what fabrics we are using so there aren't a lot of duplicates? If I can help with that - let me know!! Thanks for hosting. Punkrockertracey(at) yahoo(dot)com.
    Itching2bstitching.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah - a 4" swap. I love these. You mentioned that this is a double swap - if I do two entries would i get back two different sets in return? Also, I didn't see mention of stacking the fabrics into pre-sorted stacks. Maybe I missed that part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like 2 spots if possible. katie.m.hall@gmail.com thanks!

      Delete
  6. I want to play!
    prills@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please include me. I love I Spy swaps.
    Suscleve@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so in on this, and if we don't have enough I will sign up for 2 slots! Waldoswife at gmail .com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Count me in! I will take 2 slots if available!

    roseaesoph@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. O.K. I'll play! I haven't gotten all the other ones done yet but who cares right???
    nancyoakes59@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard that you were hosting a swap and hurried on over to sign up! Thanks for hosting! I love these swaps

    Kelly
    Knbaker128@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say that I'll join 2 swaps if there are not enough participants.

      Delete
  12. Hi I will take 2 spots if available. Thanks! alisha@netidea.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello! I would love to take a spot! I would love an excuse to go fabric shopping :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. If there are 2 groups, I'll take a spot in each one

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. I have my first set of 10 fabrics all cut out and ready to go.

      Delete
    2. My email is pagenew@sbcglobal.net

      Delete
    3. Linda, I didn't have your email and so I didn't add you to the list. I'm really sorry

      Delete
  16. Is there a Flickr group to share our prints to avoid duplicates? Just wondering. I'll join! :) fromblankpages at gmail dot com. If there is still room anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you let me know if there is still room in this swap? I would love to have more time to get my fabric cut and mailed on time, just in case life happens. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Yes there is still space. I am also setting up a flickr group. Juust need 1 more and group one will be ready to go.

      Delete
  17. I would like to join this swap. amy.l.marohn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd love to join! craftthepainaway at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will take a spot in each group if there is room.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd like a second spot if there is room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, can I still sign up for a spot? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would like to be part of this swap if it's not full yet. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still have space in the second swap but I need your email address.

      Delete
  23. Oh my gosh!! I have been looking for a swap like Care's for months now!! I already have my 10 fat quarters, and would love to participate if you have room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops, forgot the email...ekayt1981@yahoo dot com

      Delete
  24. Still open? I'm in!
    cyclejanetokyo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just ordered 10 different fun prints...had to get 1/2 yard of each, so if possible I'd like to be in two swaps. If that's not possible, no worries! I can always use the fabric.

      Delete
    2. I'm really looking to get different fabrics out of the second swap. Sorry

      Delete
    3. No problem! Can I have a place in one group?

      Delete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. still open?

    farahrhoads@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tiffany- Is there still a space? I would love to swap. I've been looking to do this for a long time. Thanks.
    eastbo78@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Ruth, Is there still a space I can snag up? Tang
    Mrsizzyd@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is still space but be sure to check the flickr page for fabrics since Melissa and I have already hit up a lot of the local stores.

      Delete
  29. Hi, Ruth! If there's an open spot I'd like to join in. My email is shansdeals@gmail.com. Thanks! Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Ruth, I commented earlier about a spot but forgot to leave my email. Hope I'm not too late to join. my email is sklemmt@blainesd.org
    Thanks, Sherry

    ReplyDelete