Saturday, June 5, 2010

Toddler Picnic Table w/guest blogger B

IMGP8371My hubby got a wild hair (on my coaxing) to build a picnic table for Cam. A friend has a plastic one and Cam loved it, so I’ve had the idea in my head for a week or so. After perusing craigslist at 3am and finding a nice one for $40, I showed it to B. Of course his response was “I can do that and probably cheaper”…that’s why I married him ;) So here it is, in his own words…

As mentioned above, the wife often shows me things on craigslist that she’d like for Cam, and my usual response is “I can build that”. Sometimes it happens, sometimes I just can’t get to it in time. So, when she showed me a link to a small table for sale I took the opportunity to prove myself worthy. A quick Google search led me to a site called “BuildEazy”, which has a pretty decent plan for a kiddo sized picnic table.

The original plan called for 1x4 and 1x6 lumber, but I opted to use 2x for the sake of sturdiness. I kept all board lengths the same as the original plan, but opted to lower the bench about 3/4” to accommodate my short-legged offspring. The materials list was pretty light for this project, all wood was basic mid-grade pine from Lowes. 2x4x8(3), 2x6x10(1), and 2x6x8(1). I already had the 2-1/2” screws in the shop, so my bill came to ~$20 for the build.


I started by cutting all of the boards to length per my cutting diagram. I typically do a cut diagram in Microsoft Publisher to help layout the pieces. I like to make a blank document the about 12’x 10’, then I can make boxes that represent the whole boards. I then make more boxes to represent the cut lumber and arrange those on the diagram. Not required by any means, but something I do to help visualize the cut pieces and try to avoid waste, YMMV.

With all of the boards cut to length, I took advantage of my shop-built router table and gave all of the seat and table-top pieces a 1/2” round-over. I think it makes the project look a little more “finished”, but isn’t really necessary. The same could be done with a power-sander and 100 grit, but it would take a lot longer. With everything cut and rounded, I hit all of the boards with 180 grit sandpaper.

The assembly was pretty straight forward using the original instructions, I may have deviated some, but I doubt I saved myself any time or hardship by doing so. The only thing I would have done, had I not been anxious to finish, would have been putting the screws in from the inside where possible. It’s not a big deal, most picnic tables have exposed fasteners, maybe on the next one…IMGP8372

Since I built the table out of un-treated lumber, it will need some sort of protective covering, either paint or polyurethane. I avoided using pressure treated lumber since the table is used by kids. Another option would be cedar but that priced out at a little over $75, I figure this is good enough for what it’s for.IMGP8381

Thanks for lookin’,


Thursday, June 3, 2010

Random Project Week

Like most crafters, I have piles upon piles in my sewing room. This week, I decided to knock out a few random projects that have been waiting patiently. And here they are…

Notepad Holder for a good friend that recently graduated with her Masters in Social Work. I’m so proud of her! Thought this notepad holder would be a great gift. I pretty much copied this one, from KnittyBitties. I love it soooo much, such a cute idea!

 IMGP8363 IMGP8364

 Diaper Pouch for ME! Diapers and wipe boxes run amok in my purse, so this will contain them in the future…plus I can take it out and carry it with me when I don’t need the entire purse. This tutorial can be found here from Noodlehead…she’s awesome! (Notice I used the same fabric…very economical, I must say) ;)





Baby Lovey Gift Set requested by a friend. I’ve made one of these for her before and we both loved it a LOT. I’ve since written down everything I did so that I can duplicate it in the future. The lovey was copied from an etsy page, but the link is now broken, so I have no idea who’s page it came from. The bib was copied from a bib I had for Cam, and I used one of Cam’s old prefold diaper burp rags for the size of the burp cloth. Easy peasy!






Bib for Cam. Ruth and I went to a sweet fabric store and I found this polka dot oil-cloth type stuff that I thought would make a perfect bib. We are still using tiny bibs on him and his messes are NOT tiny anymore, so he really needs some new, bigger bibs. I used a crappy Target bib, from the dollar bins, as a pattern. I didn’t put the pocket on, cause nothing ever falls in the pocket anyway. I backed it with a scrap piece of white terry cloth and bound it with single fold bias tape I had on hand. YAY for using up scraps!

IMGP8369edit copy